Teaching and Education
Part 1. Introduction and Interview
Time: 4-5 minutes
This part of the test begins with the examiner introducing himself or herself and checking the candidate’s identification. It then continues as an interview.
First I’d like to ask some questions about your family.
Now let’s move on to talk about food.
- Do you have a large or small family?
- How much time do you spend with members of your family?
- What sort of things do you like to do together?
Let’s talk about where you live.
- What kind of food do you like?
- What are some of the typical foods in your country?
- In your country, do men or women have the main responsibility for cooking?
- Tell me about the house or apartment you live in.
- What are some of the bad things about living there?
- What kind of place would you like to have in the future?
Part 2. Individual long turn
Time: 3-4 minutes
Now, I’m going to give you a topic and I’d like you to talk about it for 1-2 minutes.
Before you talk you’ll have one minute to think about what you are going to say and you can make notes if you wish. Do you understand?
Ok, here’s some paper and a pencil to make notes, and here is your topic.
Describe a teacher who has influenced you in your education.
You should say:
And explain why this person influenced you so much.
- Where you met them
- What subject they taught
- What was special about them
Follow up questions:
- Do other people you know remember this teacher?
- Do you still see this teacher?
Part 3. Two-way discussion
Time: 4-5 minutes
We’ve been talking about a course you have done that you found useful and I’d now like to ask you some questions related to this.
First, we’ll look at developments in education.
Now let’s look at the national education system.
- Has education in your country changed in the last 10 years?
- What changes do you think will happen in the future?
- What changes would you recommend to improve the education system?
- How do the ambitions of current school leavers compare with those of the previous generation?
- What role do you think extracurricular activities play in education?
- What is the role of the school in modern society?
Thank you. That is the end of the speaking test for IELTS.